The Royal Society of Chemistry has produced two papers focusing on plastic waste and the role of chemistry in sustainable plastics.
- Introduce measures that focus on reduce and re-use
- Working together to achieve a circular plastics economy
- Invest in research and innovation
- Make ecodesign and effective product labelling part of product requirements
- Use lifecycle analysis to ensure that government and manufacturer decisions are based on an assessment of the full environmental impact of plastic materials
You can read this paper in full here.
RSC has published an additional paper titled ‘Sustainable Plastics – the role of chemistry‘ which summarises a roundtable discussion meeting hosted by the RSC Materials Chemistry Division in March 2019. The meeting tackled the question of what actions chemical scientists can take to address the challenges of plastic waste and sustainability. You can read this paper in full here.